Mar Jok Elementary, West Kelowna
A LEED-certified, state of the art learning facility, Mar Jok Elementary raises the bar for school buildings.
The vision for the brand new Mar Jok elementary in West Kelowna was a sustainable, Gold LEED Green Building that facilitates learning and collaboration through an open-concept, energy-efficient design. The goal entailed:
- Implementing the latest energy management solutions.
- Natural elements like BC-sourced wood and natural light.
- A Neighbourhood Learning Centre offering various fitness, recreational, sports and dance programs.
The Kimco Solution
Kimco is a leader in the Thompson-Okanagan when it comes to providing building automation and reducing energy costs through building system integration, making them the perfect team to tackle this project. In order to create the energy-efficient, easy-to-maintain systems at Mar Jok, Kimco got to work implementing:
- Integrated HVAC systems using enteliWEB software and enteliBUS hardware, giving streamlined control over offices and classrooms in one place.
- Specialized lighting automation called daylight harvesting allows energy savings by automatically adjusting interior lighting based on daylight.
- Energy metering, that can help monitor and pinpoint opportunities to improve efficiencies.
- A State-of-the-art geothermal heating and cooling exchange system controlled via the building automation system that is monitored seasonally and programmed strategically.
Built to meet Gold LEED Green Building Standards, Mar Jok Elementary was finished ahead of schedule despite tight deadlines. This 42,500 square foot facility can house up to 460 students from kindergarten to grade six and includes a full-size gymnasium, sports field and two levels of classrooms. It also has a Neighbourhood Learning Centre which offers various fitness, recreational, sports and dance programs. The school’s open-concept design is energy-efficient, environmentally friendly, and uses wood from British Columbia.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Stay up to date about our company, product news & industry articles.